Sunday, September 30, 2012

Laura presents... (part 1)

An interview with author Rase Carson:

Rae Carson is a bright, wonderful woman whose books are absolutely AMAZING and I feel so honored to have been able to interview this debut author. For those of you who haven't read her books The Girls of Fire and Thorns and the Crown of Embers, you need to read these books. Now, it is my pleasure to tell you about my wonderful interview with Rae.

Q: These days, most teen books, if they include magic, have witches, fairies, or some type of overt magic. How did you come up with this subtle form of magic?

A: I don't like stories where they character is just so powerful and has such overwhelming ability because it gets boring; it's like nothing can bring that character down. In my story, I limited Elisa's magic so that it's more like an obstacle for her to overcome. Elisa doesn't know her magic, it's like a huge mystery that she will have to solve.

Q: If you had to compare your story with any Disney move, which would it be and why?

A: That's a hard question because I don't really like Disney movies because most of the princesses in the stories seem so helpless. If I had to choose though, I'd say Tangled, because the main character seems like she can get stuff done.

Q: Why did you decide to portray your main character (Elisa) as an experienced warrior queen than an already established queen?

A: She wanted to model her character with a coming of age experience. She wanted her to come into her power and earn the heck out of the title of being queen and being kick-butt.

Q: What will your next project be once you finish your current series?

A: I'm going to start on an epic fantasy trilogy about a girl in the California gold rush who has the power of finding gold. It's going to be like Little House on the Prairie on steroids.

Q: What's your favorite thing about writng and why did you decide to write for teens?

A: I really like the challenge of writing. It takes the analytic side of my brain and the creative side and marries the two together; it forces me to use my whole mind. I like writing for teens because I think they're smarter. If I write about some complicated concept they'll get no problem while adults are like "this is really complicated and confusing". Teens are also willing to read anything and really explore the different types of books while most adults are stuck in whatever type of book they like.

This interview was one of the funniest I've ever conducted and I am so glad to have had this opportunity.

Ta-Ta,

Laura 

No comments:

Post a Comment